Monday, August 27, 2007

Hopeful Helplessness

I'm writing this blog in my office. First time.

I'm stressed out.

I've been entertaining calls since morning from people asking for help.

You could never imagine what these people go through every day. And here we are living in Singapore, reputed to be one of the richest country in the world.

It's just too depressing at times. And I felt helpless. But hopeful.

Even our assistance are somewhat limited.

On the other hand, some of these people don't really need assistance, just a friend to listen to them.

There was a time when I went for a home visit to a single mother's house who also suffers from breast cancer. It was very heart-warming when she declined help for herself, saying that she already has enough to get by. "If you must, please just help my daughter in her studies. Other that that, I just need someone to talk to. Thanks for listening," she said with a beaming smile. I just felt like crying. You never knew that the littlest thing you do could have a big impact on people like her.

I just hate the feeling of not being able to help. I hate disappointing them.

On the same note, I have to be very careful about this. I think I'm too overwhelmed by the fact that these people sound so desperate over the phone.

The reality might be different.

Now I know why some of my friends say that doing social work can be emotionally-draining. But hey, I'm enjoying it.

*sigh* The irony of life.

~to cross the line might be the way across~

No comments: